Spirulina or spirulina (Spirulina maxima), which some consider a bacterium and others an algae, has a greenish-blue appearance and a popularity that rises day by day like foam. It became known for being used with great success by NASA, which included it as a supplement in the food diet that astronauts follow on special missions.
For this and many other reasons that we are going to give you below, it is a superfood that nutritionists advise to all those who are increasingly concerned about their health and who combine a healthy diet with exercise. Is this your case? Well follow us because how much we have to tell you about the “blue algae” will not leave you indifferent …
¿What is spirulina for?
You have to know that, although it is now when it is reaching its highest levels of prestige, spirulina has been serving as a food resource throughout the history of humanity, to the point that the Aztecs already took it after drying a sun Cyanobacterium called Arthrospira platensis that came from Lake Texcoco. Although its consumption began to spread a few decades ago, today it is a true “boom”. The reason? Well, spirulina is used to:
- Increase muscle mass due to its high protein content
- Without being a substitute for food, it is very positive for treating malnourished children as long as it is combined with their usual diet
- As an energy contribution it is priceless for those who suffer high physical and intellectual wear
- Provides iron to the body since it has chlorophyll
- It is a source of vitamin A that is crucial for sight and blood transport, among others.
- Similarly it is a source of vitamin E
- Contains beta-carotene so it protects the skin from the harmful effects of the sun because it stimulates the secretion of melanin
- It has a remarkable anti-inflammatory effect for those diagnosed with arthritis and similar diseases, by acting on prostaglandins
- It contributes minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, chromium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, germanium and copper to the organism
- Helps to strengthen the immune system to the extent that it has been shown to affect the in vitro activation of human lymphocytes
- It contributes to losing weight due to its high content of phenylalanine, an amino acid that greatly reduces the dreaded feeling of hunger.
- It is highly indicated for insomnia due to its high melatonin content
- It is recommended in diseases that carry a lot of physical tiredness, such as chronic obstructive disease (COPD), fatigue and fatigue
- Protects and nourishes kidneys and liver
Spirulina has also been traditionally used as a “holy grail” of youth, to prevent hair loss and increase sexual desire.
Why should we take it?
The main reason is because it is the ideal nutritional supplement for unbalanced diets that, although it is in fashion, has come with signs of permanence.
The nature of spirulina, as we have commented, generates controversy because although it was previously classified as an algae, it is now thought to be a prokaryotic organism that is made from cyanobacteria or cyanophytes of the genus Arthrospira.
Think that, although your usual diet is very varied, it is very complicated that you can consume the large amount of vitamins and minerals that your body needs daily. Our diet is not made from nutritional tables but based on habits such as eating fish, meat, vegetables and fruits in a balanced way.
Such habits, no matter how healthy they are, do not have the same nutritional profile, so it is an excellent idea to take food or vitamin supplements, such as spirulina, to provide us with everything in which our diet falls short.
As for meat, to say that this food offers proteins that are more digestible than beef, along with a huge variety of nutritional elements among which vitamins, proteins, minerals, essential fatty acids, nucleic acids such as DNA and RNA, carbohydrates, lipids, chlorophyll and a wide range of phytochemicals.
Its cultivation at an industrial level begins in the 70s in the Chad region, being highly appreciated by the Kanenmbu culture, who consumed it in the form of cookies, and it gradually spread throughout the world, so much so that a few years ago it was seen in This food is an ally to end hunger globally, thanks to its great nutritional contribution.
For this reason, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations (UN) declared that it was the best superfood in the fight against malnutrition in those underdeveloped countries where eating protein is most complicated.
Its 10 great benefits
Spirulina, which looks greenish blue because phycocyanin gives it a bluish color and chlorophyll greenish, has innumerable nutritional properties, some of which we have already discussed, promoting your health and beauty.
1st. In terms of nutritional properties, it is composed of approximately 75% protein and has multiple vitamins and minerals. These include vitamin A, E, D, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12 as well as iron, folic acid, zinc and essential acids. Its high chlorophyll content makes it an important source of oxygen.
2nd. Strengthens the immune system given its concentration in antioxidants (with anticancer properties), anti-inflammatory and antiviral.
3rd. It is antianemic because its chlorophyll performs a function similar to that of hemoglobin in the blood.
4th. It is a neutron transmitter as it contributes to the production of acetylcholine, helping to maintain the myelin sheath, which has neuronal functions for the nervous system to work properly.
5th. It stimulates intestinal transit, so it fights constipation, and is a natural antiseptic.
6º It helps a lot to lose weight by containing phenylalanine, an amino acid that suppresses the appetite, which makes it include it in weight loss programs.
7º. It contributes to greater intellectual, physical and sexual performance by containing vitamins that make cells function better.
8º. It favors the heart, as well as reducing cholesterol and triglycerides while lowering diastolic and systolic blood pressure.
9th. Your hair will never have looked as good as spirulina will provide it with the nutrients it needs as it contains a large amount of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
10th. It delays aging since its chlorophyll, retinoids, vitamin E, beta-carotenes and linoleic acids act as powerful antioxidants.
Without a doubt, with spirulina all are advantages and we still have much more to tell you about this type of superfood …
Spirulina algae for weight loss
This superfood which, despite everything said, is still called spirulina algae, helps to lose weight because it is used with great success as a satiety, which makes it the best support for people who have this goal, who will see satiated their hunger while they receive all their nutrients.
Perhaps you already know that there are many famous people who have jumped into the spirulina car and keep their kilos at bay with it. On the other hand, its richness in proteins, minerals and vitamins make it the best of nutritional supplements and makes it included in its diet by athletes.
Medicinal properties of spirulina
Spirulina is attributed various medicinal properties such as:
- It is beneficial for the eyes, which is corroborated by the WHO and promising in vitro tests are being carried out. Its high levels of vitamin A make it an ally against night blindness.
- It is a protective substance for the heart since its high content in those compounds derived from omega 6 fatty acids, makes it especially advisable to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels and to improve blood in general, avoiding arterial problems. .
This circumstance also reduces the risk of heart attacks, angina pectoris or other heart problems caused by excess fats in the blood.
- It strengthens the immune system and fights, as we have already mentioned, the fatigue that is associated with diseases such as COPD.
|Nutritional Composition||Nutritional Values|
How to take spirulina
We agree that spirulina is not a basic dish that you will find on restaurant menus, but it is the perfect diet supplement, ideal as anti-aging, rich in assimilable iron and low in fat.
Its contribution in essential fatty acids that you will not be able to find in meat, eggs or dairy, will finally convince you and, if this were not enough, it is low in calories.
Detoxify your body with spirulina and recover the physical form, the vitality and the energy that you should never lose. Do not stop consuming it especially if you suffer from anemia, exhaustion or demineralization.
If you are a vegetarian, spirulina is your thing because as a source of vitamin B-12, it will be essential for the health of your tissues and nerves. Use it to build your strongest immune system and to avoid being affected by a lack of iron, which is one of the most common deficiencies.
When taking it, you can do it in different ways. The most normal thing is that you find it in pills but, depending on your taste, you can mix it with hummus or guacamole or add it to various powdered sauces.
If you want to make a tasty smoothie, try adding spirulina and you will have the healthiest breakfast or snack.
We are going to give you some ideas for you to create easy recipes with spirulina that will delight you and yours. Without any effort you will be adding it to your diet and its benefits will not take long to notice.
- A kiwi
- A cup of pineapple or papaya
- ½ cup cucumber
- A handful of spinach or any other green leaf
- ½ lemon or lime (peeled)
- One or 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- One teaspoon of spirulina algae powder
- A cup of water or soy milk
Add all the ingredients to the blender, mix and serve cold.
- 100 cc of milk cream
- 2 garlic cloves
- One tablespoon of spirulina algae powder
- A small sprig of basil
- Olive oil
- Pine nuts or walnuts
To the glass of the blender you will add the cream, a generous stream of olive oil, the garlic cloves and the sprig of basil and blend until you notice that the mixture has become homogeneous. At the end you will add the tablespoon of powdered spirulina algae and the chopped pine nuts or walnuts. Add to your favorite pasta dish and ready to enjoy!
Vegetable and spirulina smoothie
- 2 carrots
- One tablespoon of spirulina algae powder
- The juice of an orange
Peel the carrots and chop them. Place them in the glass of the mixer or blender to which you will add the orange juice. Blend until you notice that it is completely integrated and add the tablespoon of spirulina algae powder. Mix well. Always have your smoothie close at hand and drink when you feel like it. Without consuming only calories, you will be alleviating hunger in a natural and healthy way.
Where to buy spirulina
Nowadays it is very easy to buy spirulina since it is sold in herbalists, specialized stores and supermarkets, although a very convenient option is to buy it online. Take a look at Amazon and choose from its wide assortment of organic spirulina in tablets or powder, tablets and capsules and other formats.
That does remember that before starting to take any food supplement it is advisable to consult with your GP. Special care should be taken with the consumption of spirulina in the event of hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
For the rest, we encourage you to try spirulina because, if it is not only good for astronauts but also for Olympic athletes, how can it not be for you?
- Potential health benefits of spirulina microalgae
- National Institutes of Health
- Efficacy of Spirulina extract