Goji berries, goji cherries or goji are the red or orange fruit of the phanerogamic plant Lycium barbarum or Lycium chinense, which belongs to the Solanaceae family, native to China but naturalized in Europe. In fact, in antiquity it was called spina benedicta, because the relics of the crown of Christ that are kept in Rome are lycae (a species of plant that also belongs to the Solanaceae family).
Considered an ideal superfood to face aging, goji berries are all the rage in any corner of the planet. Used in China to improve longevity and health for thousands of years, it is one of the most nutrient dense foods you can find with an endless cast that includes phytonutrients, vitamins and antioxidants among many other virtues …
¿What are the benefits of goji berries?
Goji berries will captivate you from the start. If you become “addicted” to them you will enjoy their innumerable benefits, recognized by the most prestigious nutritionists in the world. Enter them in your diet dry or in juice as many celebrities are already doing and feel the following advantages:
- They increase longevity, protecting from premature aging due to its antioxidant action that prevents the attack of free radicals
- They increase strength and energy, even more so when you are convalescing from an illness
- They will make you feel rejuvenated as they stimulate the release of human growth hormone by the pituitary gland
- You will recover the libido
- They will balance your blood sugar levels due to their betaine content, a substance that prevents fatty liver disease and vascular damage
- Liver and kidneys will work better
- You will have an improved view and adapted more easily to the dark. Carotenoids in goji berries protect against cataracts and macular degeneration
- You will enjoy optimal blood pressure levels
- You will activate resistance to diseases
- They will strengthen your immune response
- Goji berries will lower your cholesterol levels by containing beta-sitosterol. Your flavonoids keep your arteries open and functioning normally.
- You will have a stimulated brain that will avoid problems of the Alzheimer’s style
- You will be warned against coronary heart disease and with a heart strengthened by its content in cyperone and anthocyanins
- Slow lipid peroxidation, a common cause of heart disease
- They help cancer prevention because they contain germanium and anti-oxidants as well as unique polysaccharides that stop mutations that can lead to tumors.
- They help cancer recovery by promoting cell growth
- Reduce the toxic effects caused by treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy
- They are recommended to patients with diabetes because they lower blood glucose levels
- They repair and restore DNA since betaine and the polysaccharides they contain act on damaged DNA
- Improve the number of lymphocytes
- Correct low back pain
- They help in case of infertility for both men and women as it is believed that they can restore Jing, which is the reproductive essence for Asians
- Goji berries alleviate chronic dry cough, alone or in combination with other herbs
- They fight anxiety and stress by coping with energy reserves that end difficulties
- You will feel happier because consuming them regularly encourages a cheerful attitude
- They improve digestion by effectively treating atrophic gastritis. For this, nothing better than taking them in highly bioavailable juice.
- They end the vertigos
- Mitigate menopausal discomfort
- Help in case of impotence
- Treat weak joints
- Relieve low back problems and strengthen bones and muscles in general
- They fight headaches
- They fight insomnia
- They are indicated for patients with tuberculosis
- They prevent anemia by containing large amounts of carbohydrates, vitamin C and iron
The quality of its nutrients is as incredible as the multiple advantages it brings to our body. And in case something was missing, goji berries are delicious!
Its fruits are similar to raisins and have a reddish hue that combines the sweet flavor with another slightly bitter one. This plant, classified as “adaptogen” grows in areas as diverse as they can be deserts and tropics. Similarly, they tolerate sub-zero temperatures and tend to dry for better preservation.
Goji berries have been cultivated by the Chinese, Mongols and Tibetans for more than 5000 years and in Tibet they resemble them as a national treasure.
Being an adaptogen, it has the ability to invigorate and strengthen the body while fighting stress thanks to the support of the adrenal (adrenal) glands.
As you are checking, with goji berries everything is add and follow, stay with us because its benefits seem to grow at times …
This plant, which as we have been saying has its origin in the East and provides energizing effects to those who take it daily, is attributed with increased mental capacity and concentration, due to its betaine content, which in the body is converted to choline.
There are those who speak of the “miraculous effects” of goji berries, among which we must highlight an exclusive nutritional profile that you will not find in any other food. As for its macronutrients, it must be said that they are made up of 68% carbohydrates, 12% protein, 10% fat and 10% dietary fiber.
Regarding the calories it provides, we would be talking about 370 kilocalories for every 100 gr of dry berries that you eat.
Goji berries contain 19 amino acids, among which are essential amino acids and minerals and trace elements such as calcium, potassium, iron, zinc and selenium. The latter, along with germanium, is useful in cancer treatments.
Its remarkable amounts of vitamins are also noteworthy, especially vitamin B1, B2, B6, C, and E.
It is also appreciable for its content in carotenoids that include beta carotene, lutein, lycopene and xanthophyll. Just carotene, goji berries contain more than carrots, hence their antioxidant properties.
Among its essential fatty acids we can mention linoleic acid, a promoter of fat loss.
As an anti-aging it is priceless given its high amounts of antioxidants, which slow down the aging process.
In terms of improving eyesight, it is based on its high percentage of B-carotene that borders on 8mg per 100g of goji berries, a very active principle at a biological level that makes it easy for the body to assimilate.
Lose weight without starvation
Goji berries will be great for losing weight effortlessly while improving your health and delaying the effects of aging on your body. With them, you will manage to control those excess kilos for the following reasons:
- Its high fiber content will make the dreaded feeling of hunger delay its appearance thanks to the goji berries
- You can consume them in juice so that this drink will act as an appetite reducer and as an accelerator in the fat burning process
- By tending to lower blood sugar levels, you may lose excess abdominal fat
- As they balance glucose levels, we will not have as much need to eat sweets which favors the monitoring of the diet
- The reduction of cholesterol that its intake entails, due to its antioxidant efficacy, among other reasons, also reduces body fat levels.
- Its linoleic acid content also promotes fat loss
- Since it increases energy levels, it encourages exercise and encourages a diet
If we start from the basis that proposing to lose weight has a notable psychological factor, in goji berries you can have powerful allies to achieve your ideal weight and maintain it afterwards.
Get glowing skin
You can get a much younger looking skin if you drink goji berry extract, without the need for aggressive chemicals or expensive plastic surgery.
Goji berries that are called wolfberries are a fruit considered magical for the ability that is supposed to lengthen life and, in any case, what we can assure you is that if you take it, you will rejuvenate for several years as it has the following positive effects on your skin:
- Paralyzes acne by reducing inflammation and improving blood circulation
- Tones skin and tightens pores while increasing collagen production
- Conceals scars by significantly reducing them, improving your blood circulation and repairing your damaged areas
- Preserves the damage caused by the sun due to the high concentration of antioxidants in goji berries that protect against damage from UV rays and hydrate skin that is too dry due to excessive exposure to the sun
How to take goji berries
The important thing is to incorporate their intake into our daily healthy habits, being able to take goji berries in different ways, in the form of juice, tea, smoothies or vegetable drinks or adding them to other types of food such as cereals, salads or yogurt. Other people choose to consume them in capsules.
A good idea is to add them to your favorite recipes, both fresh and dried, as they will give them that pleasant touch of flavor halfway between blueberry and cherry.
In Asia they are revered to the point that there are numerous legends about them and throughout their central area they celebrate an annual festival in their honor that lasts no more and no less than two weeks, as it is the food selected by Traditional Chinese Medicine, of millennial origin , for the sake of recovering chi or vital energy.
Specifically among the inhabitants of the valleys of the Himalayas, the Hunzas are known for being the healthiest and happiest people on Earth. Their longevity impacts their own and strangers, in the same way that the ability they have developed to overcome diseases and aging does. In this, living at 4000 meters above sea level, far from all levels of contamination, and healthy eating has played a key role. Especially the goji berries.
Tibetan goji berries are natural survivors, which is supported by the fact that they grow wild and dry naturally in the sun at altitudes exceeding 4000 meters in the Himalayas. They withstand the harshest weather conditions on the planet, with a very high level of solar energy, which has meant that this food has developed unmatched characteristics to withstand it.
The recommended dose to take is equivalent to between 5 and 10 grams a day, that is, between 20 and 40 berries that we can eat just as they come directly in the container, that is, dehydrated or adding them to other dishes.
Some people also find it similar to the flavor of raisins and among the many ways in which they can be consumed, it is especially recommended that of the dehydrated berry, which previously we will have washed in water and left it to soak for a while.
Where to buy them
This food can be bought in herbalists or specialized stores as well as in establishments dedicated to Asian food, although you always have the option of acquiring it online through Amazon comfortably and with the guarantee that its items respond to an exquisite selection that ensures the best relationship. price quality.
It is essential to follow the indications that appear on the package and carefully read the information, in order to corroborate its origin, thus having the opportunity to choose among the products that we offer, the most natural.
If you decide to buy goji berries in juices, such drinks will have to contain a high percentage of this food so that the price paid for them is balanced. Sometimes, the juices come already mixed with other types of berries and red fruits, which results in an antioxidant product of great value.
The essential thing is to verify the place where the berries have been processed and their nutritional values.
Advertencias, precauciones y contraindicaciones
Always talk to your doctor before starting to eat goji berries. Some companies may say they have fewer side effects than medications. But goji berries can interact with any medication you’re currently taking.
You should avoid adding goji berries to your diet if you suffer from the following:
- you have low blood sugar
- you are using blood thinners
- you have high or low blood pressure
- you are breastfeeding or pregnant (could cause an abortion)
- you are allergic to fruit
- Recent trends and advances in berry health benefits research
- Natural Institute of Health
- National Institutes of Health