Ginkgo biloba or ginkgo (Salisburia adiantifolia Smith) is a medicinal plant, whose origin is in China and which has innumerable uses due to its enormous variety of properties and the many benefits it provides to our health.
The extract of the leaves of this tree, which is also called the tree of forty shields, is considered today one of the most effective natural remedies when it comes to fighting those circulatory disorders that are associated with the passage of time. For this and many other reasons that we are going to make known to you, top the list of superfoods that should not be missing from your diet.
¿What is Ginkgo Biloba and what is it for?
The ginkgo biloba, a truly majestic tree, has a pyramidal or conical crown whose bark has a brownish gray hue and the leaves, which are light green, have a peculiar fan shape. It is a dioecious tree (with both feminine and masculine flowers that sprout in different trees), although it does not usually bloom.
Of him we can say that:
- The ginkgo native to Japan, eastern China and Korea, considered one of the oldest species in existence
- Currently only one species remains, the ginkgo biloba that has withstood even the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima
- Its high resistance capacity and its extraordinary longevity have earned it a place of honor in Japanese and Chinese traditional medicine.
- In these traditional medicines, this plant has been used for more than two thousand years.
- You will find ginkgos in big cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, London, Buenos Aires or New York
- Given its high capacity to resist polluting agents, it is not only found in gardens and parks but also in streets, avenues and squares.
- In autumn it acquires a golden coloration that can only be classified as absolutely spectacular
- For the Buddhist religion it is a sacred tree, so its followers plant it in temples and near pagodas
- With this simple gesture, Buddhists are recognizing their great merit in surviving in the harshest conditions
- One of the most popular medicines that ginkgo contains is Tanakene, which fights against the symptoms of cerebral insufficiency.
- While there are those who question its effects, for many others its attributes are absolutely undeniable
If you are starting to become curious about this ancient tree, stay with us and you will discover how much it can do for you.
Ginkgo Biloba Properties
Despite what skeptics may consider, this tree is without a doubt one of the best formulas with which to treat a large number of conditions. Not surprisingly, in China it began to be used as soon as it was known of its existence.
Today this ancient plant is one of the star ingredients in many products belonging to the pharmaceutical industry, mainly all those that are characterized by being naturists. It is usually sold in capsules since it is a very easy way to consume it.
The aesthetic industry has also been highly favored thanks to this plant that has as one of its main properties the prevention of premature aging, one of the essential concerns of the majority of the population, regardless of whether they are women or men.
As we have been saying, among its properties is the promotion of blood circulation that is accompanied by a huge variety of benefits for all those who ingest it daily.
Along with this we must also highlight that it has a large number of antioxidants, such as flavonoids, the center from which a wide repertoire of health benefits starts.
If you want to feel better than ever on the inside and that is reflected on the outside, ginkgo biloba is your solution.
Ginkgo Biloba benefits
Although some of its benefits have already been mentioned, others will surprise you equally, because the truth is that the benefits of this plant do not seem to have an end and among them the following are worth mentioning:
- Improve vision. So it is especially indicated for the preservation of sight in the best possible conditions by those who suffer from diabetes and glaucoma. As they are degenerative diseases, it never hurts to try to stop their progress with a product whose regular consumption helps to slow vision loss.
- Prevent premature aging. Effect that is due to the action of antioxidants and the elimination of free radicals, which allows skin to look more radiant than ever.
- To the extent that it will protect you from UV rays, wrinkles and other signs of aging will take longer to appear, so you will continue to boast of a shiny and smooth skin for much longer.
- Improve memory. The frenetic pace of life that we lead in today’s society is associated in many occasions with memory loss, although they may also be due to other causes.
- If you have reached a point where you need memory stimulation and even an improvement in the learning process, few products can help you as much as the one we are dealing with.
- The reason is none other than the fact that it will dilate your blood vessels so that blood can flow better throughout your body, and therefore also through the brain. This involves an improvement in oxygenation and an optimization of all bodily functions, memory not being an exception.
- Say goodbye to tired legs syndrome. A disease that affects women more because it is motivated, among other factors, by the use of heels Also certain jobs, such as those in the hospitality or hairdressing sector, which force the professionals who perform them to stay on their feet many hours a day, give rise to it. The legs start to feel too heavy and you hardly have the strength to move them. The origin of the problem lies in the poor blood circulation. Once the vessels have dilated, the blood will begin to circulate again without any problem..
- End cramps. Cramps are really annoying and make no distinction between sexes or ages. Furthermore, even athletes are prone to suffer them in the event that once they finish exercising they do not carry out the appropriate stretches. They may also suffer if they exercise more than they should, since the effect of lactic acid will not take long.
- Prevent the appearance of varicose veins. A problem that begins being aesthetic when the first small varicosities appear and that can end up being health in the event that they persist and become worse. Although it usually affects women more, men do not get rid of them either.
- If you are prone to suffering from them, think that among its possible complications is the fact that veins and arteries become clogged, leading to a thrombosis that, if not treated in time, would put the health of those who suffer it at serious risk. Thus, you will also avoid intermittent claudication and brain failure problems.
- Fight migraine. Migraines and dizziness are some of the pathologies that ginkgo biloba can help fight. Those who have a tendency to suffer them say that, as a minimum, this plant tends to delay its episodes, given the great improvement experienced in blood supply.
- Provide vitality. The regular consumers of this plant point out that one of its effects is that which provides energy to the body, avoiding in this simple way the feeling of tiredness that at one point accompanies us all, but that attacks more elderly people and which can end up leading to certain states of depression.
- Mitigate the symptoms of pre menstrual syndrome (PMS). This syndrome without being serious at all, it is quite annoying for the vast majority of women, who complain about the inflammation they tend to suffer on those days, among other aspects.
- At this point is where the anti-inflammatory action of ginkgo biloba plays a primary role, which is also capable of mitigating the pains that sometimes appear during those days, allowing you to continue carrying out your usual activities.
- Help recovery from cardiovascular accidents. When a person suffers a cardiovascular accident (CVA), he needs an adequate improvement in blood circulation and an optimal level of cerebral oxygenation.
- In this sense, ginkgo biloba stimulates the activation of the blood supply, which necessarily entails the recovery of all those functions that the body may have lost after suffering a cardiovascular accident.
How to take ginkgo biloba
We have already mentioned that the seeds and leaves of ginkgo biloba have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for more than two thousand years, although today their consumption is focused on its leaves, which are sold in standardized extract or in its leaves. dry, with which to make infusions. As for the seeds, they have been stopped because they are considered toxic.
As for their presentations they can be of the most diverse and include, in addition to the capsules (which can be combined with other natural substances such as witch hazel or cypress), bottles of liquid extract, anti-varicose gels and tincture.
Its rich composition does not lack substances such as ascorbic, oleic, alpha-linoleic, citric, gadoleic, stearic and palmitic acids; amino acids such as arginine, cysteine, cystine, valine, isolecucine, tryptophan, methionine, lysine, phenialanine or serine; leaf apigenin; sugars like sucrose, fructose, raffinose and glucomannan; terpenic lactones such as bilbalid and ginkgolides; leucoanthocyanides; ginkgolic acid; Ginkgolide A, B, and C (ginkgolide); bilobalide or bilobalid; flavonoids such as flavanol glycosides (bilobetin, ginkgetin, ginkgetol, and isoginkgetin), quercetin, apigenin, siringetol, camferol, and flavonoid glycosides (quercetin, kenferol, isramramnetol, and ruthersides) minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium, magnesium, , zinc and sodium; fiber and vitamins such as ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and thiamine (vitamin B1).
Containdications and side effects
Despite being an absolutely natural product and that, ingested in the appropriate doses hardly carries any type of health risk, the truth is that the ideal before starting to take this plant is to have all the information about it.
It is also advisable to consult the GP before starting such long-term treatment, even more so it is decided to carry out due to memory loss or if it is to be administered to the elderly.
Ginkgo biloba should also not be taken by pregnant women, patients who bleed frequently, or those who are taking medications that make the blood run thin, or those who have epileptic seizures or have had episodes of seizures. In children under the age of five, its administration is not advisable either, due to their young age.
Regarding its possible side effects, those that have been described are mostly associated with inappropriate or excessive intake that includes dizziness, headaches, stomach disorders and skin irritations.
Regarding unwanted interactions, some have also been described related to groups of drugs, including some anti-inflammatory drugs, antidepressants, seizure drugs, liver drugs, and drugs such as warfarin and aspirin. Other fluidizers and anticoagulants must also be considered.
Where can I buy ginkgo biloba online at the best price?
You will find this natural plant in herbalists, supermarkets and specialized stores.
Always remember that, despite being natural products, not all of them have the same quality, so make sure you are choosing from a careful selection of items that give you the best, t