Ginger, also called quion or kion (Zingiber Officinale) is the medicinal plant of the moment. Powerful natural anti-inflammatory, with it you will fight respiratory diseases, digestive ailments and other pathologies of the style of osteoarthritis and diabetes.
t has a characteristic aroma and a spicy touch that makes it ideal to be consumed in the company of other foods. Its wealth of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential oils, provide the human body with innumerable benefits, so its consumption will be most convenient for you.
Follow us if you want to know about this impressive superfood that complements your healthy habits with excellence.
¿What is ginger for?
This root, which comes from the East and is mainly cultivated in China, is not infrequently missing from the tables in India and is now being transferred to those in the rest of the world as a result of the enormous expansion it is experiencing, given its multiple benefits for the Human health. Discovering what ginger is for goes through knowing the following information:
- It is a powerful root that has a penetrating aroma, so it is recommended that its consumption be moderate
- The best way to assimilate its advantages is to take it in infusion, juices, in any type of dish and salads as well as in desserts
- When it comes to ailments related to the intestine it is unmatched, in particular it works very well for those of the stomach
- Your digestive system in general will also benefit as soon as you start consuming it
- As a good antibacterial, it will act effectively against intestinal problems that alter flora
- It is an excellent ally to end the nausea we suffer during pregnancy, on trips, during chemotherapy treatments, etc.
- Its antibacterial power is also ideal to avoid ulcers.
- Colds, nasal congestion, flu or feverish conditions improve a lot with their intake, since it favors expectoration
- Effectively combat menstruation pain, so annoying for women
- It acts as a powerful natural aphrodisiac because it stimulates libido, since its essential oil increases body temperature
- It boosts your spirits, which is why it is reputed to be a good all-natural antidepressant.
- As a stimulator of the pancreas it is priceless and is capable of increasing the production of enzymes that aid digestion
- For this last reason, you will hardly experience heartburn or heartburn.
- As for stress levels, they are reduced with their consumption, which will make you notice a general state of well-being
- The feared premature cell aging will also benefit
- You will see fewer migraines and migraines
- Prevents cardiovascular disease while optimizing blood flow
- End pain and swelling caused by diseases like arthritis
- It alleviates the discomfort caused by what is known as “carpal tunnel syndrome”
- Diminishes toothaches
- End bad breath as well as dry mouth problems
- Helps prevent ovarian and colon cancers
As you can see, with ginger all are advantages. Do not miss the rest of the things we have to tell you about a food that is raging.
|Nutritional composition||Nutritional values|
A condiment of the most used
Ginger has been used for around 2,000 years in traditional medicine and, apart from that, it is a very popular gastronomic condiment. The best known part of this plant is the one that is called a rhizome. The kion belongs to the zingiberáceas family and grows in the tropical regions of all the continents.
Although the most commonly found variety in the market comes from China and Peru, the most appreciated ginger would be the one that originates from countries such as India, Jamaica and Australia. Its thick stem can reach a height of up to a meter or more.
As for its composition, it has a high concentration of fiber and amino acids such as methionine, niacin, histidine, tryptophan, valine and leucine, endowed with remarkable properties to heal wounds, as well as arginine , a substance that stimulates the immune system. Gingerol and fiber also have a presence in this root. In fact, gingerol owes its characteristic spicy flavor, as it could be assimilated to capsaicin, the substance that chili chops. It also has other essential oils such as camphene, citronellal and lemongrass.
On the other hand, certain elements, not inconsiderable that we find in ginger are important acids, among which ascorbic, which has antioxidant properties, as well as aspartic acid, oleic acid, linoleic and alpha-linoleic acid, fundamental for food human because they are included in the list of omega-3 fatty acids. Phosphorus, calcium, chromium, aluminum and vitamins B and C are also part of this tuber.
A considerable source of antioxidants, in ginger we find phyto nutrients such as carotenes or flavonoids and enzymes such as zingibain and protease.
How to plant ginger at home
If you have a “hand” with the plants, it will not be difficult for you to collect your “mini harvest” of ginger. Keep in mind that it is very simple because it is grown indoors in a pot that you can place anywhere. It does not require heat, direct sunlight or humidity.
It is convenient to plant it in spring and it must be taken into account that the mother tuber should be the fresher the better. Make sure to prepare a pot that drains well and that you have prepared with sand, soil and mature compost. Put the ginger in the center and always with the rhizomes facing up.
Water it every day, so that the soil is always wet. Stems and leaves will appear within a month. The plant does not usually flower and does not bear fruit. We will proceed to harvest within 8 to 10 months. For this we will stop watering and when the plant has dried we will harvest, planting again a part of the root with rhizomes, facing the next harvest.
¿How is the root preserved?
The root you buy or harvest yourself, you can keep in the refrigerator, as long as you put it in a plastic bag with a hermetic seal, to which you will have to take out the air. Another possibility is that you freeze it. It can be kept like this for almost a year but, once thawed, the texture is a bit more strange.
The ginger that you have left over, once peeled, can be preserved in vodka and then used on sushi. It will be delicious!
Your best ally against nausea
If you are prone to nausea or want to vomit on certain occasions, in ginger you will have a simple therapy that will help you deal with such uncomfortable discomfort. Specifically, nothing like this root to end the nausea that they suffer:
- Pregnant women. The one of the gestation is a propitious moment for the consumption of ginger if what you want is to end the vomiting that often accompany the first months of pregnancy. Prepare an infusion with half a teaspoon of dried root and a cup of water. Drink from it several times each day. Of course, do not prolong the intake for more than two months in a row.
- People receiving chemotherapy treatments. After the chemo sessions to which those who have had cancer are subjected, nausea is very common. Avoiding it involves consuming ginger, but always taking care not to do it on an empty stomach.
- Those who are going through a post-operative. Often this tuber has the ability to decrease the negative effects on the body of the medications necessary to carry out surgeries. One day before the surgical practice, and whenever the surgeon authorizes it, you can take ginger to minimize these discomforts.
- Those who get dizzy during travel. The ideal solution is to take ginger a few hours before you start your journey by car, boat or plane. The dizziness that stops is the one that associates to the movement, whose name is motion sickness. If the trip has a long duration, it is advisable to eat ginger half an hour before and in the middle of it. You can drink your infusion with dried root or mix ginger with fruit.
Lemon ginger tea for ovarian health
For women, the consumption of ginger is essential since it provides the best state of health to their ovaries.
Those who suffer from strong and recurring menstrual pain should prepare a lemon ginger tea whenever they want to alleviate these symptoms and achieve a higher quality of life during those days. You will see how little by little, the pain subsides, even that intense one from the beginning.
Those who are going through the trance of ovarian cancer, can see the pain and stress that this disease generates thanks to the composition of ginger, as long as its consumption is authorized by your doctor.
How to lose weight with ginger
Losing weight with the ginger root will be very easy for you. It has been shown that there is a direct relationship between its consumption and a gradual loss of weight. Accompanied by healthy eating habits and some daily exercise, this food will be sensational to keep those extra kilos at bay.
The reason is as simple as when you consume ginger you accelerate your metabolism, so that you lose weight more easily. Thus, your diet becomes more effective.
When considering losing weight, there is nothing like drinking ginger root tea that is exclusively prepared with ginger root and hot water, without the slightest difficulty.
If you drink this tea a couple of times a day, you will be contributing not only to the mentioned acceleration of your metabolism, but also to your body deflating. On the other hand, you will be helping glucose awareness, a term closely related to weight loss.
At the same time, you will be increasing serotonin levels, so your appetite will decrease and with it the need for inappropriate pecking.
Finally, drinking ginger tea will make you feel satiated, so you won’t have to eat excessively large servings.
Even the most natural of foods can have some side effect, and ginger was no exception. In this sense, it should not be taken when those ailments related to the digestive system for which its consumption is indicated, are already active. We are referring to Crohn’s disease, colitis, ulcers and gastritis, because if not, the pain could become stronger.
In the case of pregnant women, although we have already commented that they are indicated to end the nausea of the first months, the opportunity of their consumption should always be consulted with your gynecologist beforehand.
When menstrual bleeding is too intense, its intake is not recommended, to avoid possible bleeding.
It is also necessary to consult a specialist if you are taking certain medications, due to possible interference in their effects. Especially if the treatments are being followed against circulatory problems or diabetes, special care must be taken, since ginger alters and reduces the action of these drugs.
If, once you start taking it, you see some type of allergic reaction, stop using it, as it can sometimes cause skin rashes and certain eye reactions.
In fever cases it should not be taken since this food usually contributes to an increase in body temperature.
A correct use of ginger would be to ingest it two weeks in a row and rest another two, and so on.
Where to buy ginger
When acquiring ginger you will not have any problem because this food is already commercialized everywhere.
Herbal shops, specialized stores and parapharmacies offer it. Now, if you want to make your purchase online, your best option is Amazon, where they have made for you a meticulous selection of ginger root, organic ground ginger and dry ginger, among other products. To this you must add the convenience of having your order sent home.
References and sources:
- Ginger consumption enhances the termic effecto of food
- The amazing and mighty ginger
- Properties of 6-gingerol