Flax or linseed (Linum usitatissimum) is, in the variety known as flaxseeds, a superfood that will surprise you with its large number of beneficial micronutrients for the human body, among which the cure and prevention of numerous diseases stand out.
If you are interested in having all the possible information on the so-called “miracle seeds”, stay with us because their effects will not leave you indifferent. Flax is the plant from which both these seeds, also called flaxseed, and oil are extracted.
- 1 Properties and benefits of flax seeds
- 2 What are these seeds for?
- 3 Fighting diseases
- 4 Ideals against constipation
- 5 How to take flax seeds
- 6 Flaxseed to cleanse the colon and burn fat
- 7 What is the relationship between colon cleansing and weight loss?
- 8 Where to buy flax seeds
Properties and benefits of flax seeds
The flax plant has not only served as a source of food and fibers to make garments with them, but also for other uses, among which the making of ship sails stand out, for example, what we mention as simple curiosity.
Regarding its properties and benefits, the following stand out:
- They will make you lose weight. Thanks to its high content of healthy fats and fiber, which will help you feel satiated
- They will keep your cholesterol levels at bay. Whenever you introduce them into your daily diet, you will see these levels reduced in the most natural way
- Ideal food for celiacs. Those who cannot take gluten-containing grains will see these seeds as their ideal substitute
- The best antioxidant. Think that lignans are polyphenols that will provide you with countless antioxidant benefits
- Its richness in fiber. By concentrating high levels of mucilage (gum), gelling agent with great benefits for the intestinal tract
- As prevention for cancer. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties suggest it
- They promote digestive health. Because flax alpha-linolenic helps protect the lining of the digestive tract
- They counteract the troublesome symptoms of menopause. So they are considered a good alternative to hormone replacement therapies.
- Your hair and skin will thank you. You will get healthier skin, hair and nails and will improve acne, eczema and rosacea.
- They act as a natural aphrodisiac. In order to use flaxseed oil to massage your partner, you will notice reliving the passion
|Nutritional composition||Nutritional values|
What are these seeds for?
Apart from all the properties just mentioned, flaxseeds or flaxseeds contain a substance similar to prostaglandin, which regulates the function and pressure of the arteries, therefore they play a crucial role in fat metabolism , energy and calcium.
Thus, flax is the only food that has the ability to block the path of estrogen, thanks to the strange combination that occurs in it of an omega-3 fatty acid and a weak estrogen.
The large amount of dietary fiber that flaxseeds contain and which are the main known source of omega 3 fatty acids as well as weak estrogens, make it a privileged food. Other of flax’s most notable capabilities include reducing estrogen in fat cells, limiting estrogen stimulation, increasing the number of estrogen transporters, and prolonging the menstruation period.
For their part, the phytochemicals called lignans, are one of the most potent anticancer drugs that can occur in nature. Specifically, these properties are attributed to colon, breast, lung or prostate cancer, simply by adding ground flaxseed to regular diets.
The explanation for this is that lignins have been shown to be powerful weapons in the fight against cancer-causing chemicals, blocking estrogen receptors.
Regarding the amounts of fiber they contain, they are higher than those found in other cereals, so they are highly indicated for weight loss, cholesterol reduction and when saying goodbye to constipation.
Other very beneficial substances for the organism that flax seeds contain are:
Minerals among which calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, iodine, copper, phosphorus and zinc stand out.
Vitamins B, C, E and K, almost all antioxidants.
Digestive enzymes and amino acids such as cysteine, leucine, and isoleucine.
Phenolic compounds that are also antioxidants. Recent studies are giving much importance to this group of molecules, which are attributed with a large number of interesting properties for our health.
Special mention deserves the fact that, taken in the appropriate doses, these seeds hardly present any contraindications. In any case, it should be borne in mind that they should not be taken by those who suffer from divertculitis or irritable colon.
If ingested in excess (the recommended dose is about 25 grams daily), stomach pain and diarrhea may appear
Flax seeds, apart from serving to help in the prevention of cancer, are formidable to end:
- Inflammatory and heart diseases
- Pathologies associated with overweight and diabetes
- Sexual problems, sperm formation, sterility and abortion
- Various allergies
- Additions to drugs and alcohol
- Skin, nail and hair problems
- Stress associated with our fast standard of living
- Lack of energy, since it is a revitalizer
- Fluid retention, adrenal function, poor glandular function, and cystic fibrosis
- Vision problems
- Schizophrenia and bipolar depression
- Multiple sclerosis
If the virtues of these little seeds are catching you, keep reading because we have much more to tell you about them …
Ideals against constipation
One of the main qualities attributed to flax seeds is their ability to end constipation. Only by macerating flax seeds will they be able to see how your intestinal transit works in the most natural way.
As we have been indicating, the richness of both fiber and omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids in flaxseed is ideal to complement a healthy and balanced diet, which must necessarily be varied.
Thus, flax seeds are not only a food but also a basic ingredient in the elaboration of natural products with which to care for your skin. One of the most popular ones made from this substance is flaxseed oil, which is widely marketed.
As food it is extremely versatile. Everyone knows the possibility of taking flaxseeds both whole and in salads, but what you may not know is that with them you can also make drinks. Due to its benefits, linseed water stands out, with which you will see your blood glucose levels controlled, as well as those of cholesterol and triglycerides or flaxseed milk, a perfect substitute for cow’s milk for lactose intolerant people.
Now, if what you need is to end the dreaded constipation, which can end up wreaking havoc on your health, mashing flax seeds is a great solution. Consuming flaxseed regularly will greatly help you to stop suffering from this situation.
Macerate flaxseed and regulate your intestinal transit
With the single help of a teaspoon of flax seeds and a cup of water, you can marinate flaxseed and help your intestinal transit to be correct. It will be enough that you put the seeds in a mortar in order to grind them a little. The cup of water should be poured into a bowl of a somewhat larger size, add the ground seeds and let them marinate for about 8 hours.
It will be enough that you take a teaspoon of such maceration half an hour before breakfast, when you are still fasting and a second teaspoon half an hour before going to sleep.
If you are wondering what exactly flaxseeds can do to end your constipation, the answer is:
- They will provide your body with the fiber it needs every day, since the fiber contained in flax is incredibly useful to meet that need. With this simple gesture, you will be introducing much more fiber in your eating habits
- You will see your constipation improved. As its high fiber content again is a highly recommended option both to prevent and to fight with occasional constipation. In the event that your constipation problems become habitual, you should consult a specialist
- They will purify your body. As it is a magnificent natural scrubber for yourself
- They will promote proper digestion. Since they contain digestive enzymes that are an excellent way to improve intestinal transit
How to take flax seeds
A good way to take them is to grind them with the help, for example, of a coffee grinder and take about 25 grams a day incorporating them into the bread you make at home or your favorite pastry such as buns or biscuits, which whenever you can is better that they are integral.
Mix the crushed flax with your juices, yogurts, sauces, soups or salads, as these seeds are a great and delicious complement to your diet. You must crush them because this way you will be able to break the hard outer layer of which they are provided and the human enzymes will be seen in this simple way more benefited with their properties.
In this delicious way you will be helping to curb one of the great ills that afflict today’s society, such as diabetes since the high concentration of flax fiber promotes the reduction of blood sugar levels, preventing this sickness.
As glucose is the main source of energy for the human body, it is crucial to keep its levels balanced. Lean for it on linen and your health will win.
To expand information on how to take flax seeds we have prepared the following post.
Flaxseed to cleanse the colon and burn fat
Flaxseeds are, as we have already mentioned, powerful anticancer agents. In addition, its richness in dietary fiber will allow you to lose weight easily and see your cholesterol levels reduced.
The properties associated with flax will not cease to be surprising. This home remedy, whose applications do not seem to end, is highly valued for cleaning the colon and burning fat.
The way it does this is very simple. Based on the fact that the intestines (or the colon) have the mission of eliminating any fecal deposit or parasite, sometimes we find the fact that the evacuations are not total and we accumulate waste. In this way, diseases caused by toxins that contaminate the bloodstream frequently appear, causing extensive damage to the body,
As a result we will find not only the possibility of suffering constipation, but also other more serious pathologies such as diabetes, kidney or liver diseases, accelerated metabolism, hearing or vision problems, weakening of hair, skin and nails, arthritis or cancer tumors.
What is the relationship between colon cleansing and weight loss?
A great idea if you want to lose weight is to make sure that you have a clean colon beforehand. For this, it is essential to eliminate waste that accumulates in the body and that will make you be more bloated than normal, which is sometimes caused by an unbalanced intake of food.
These bad habits are likely to also cause abdominal pain, general discomfort, allergies, digestive problems and being overweight. Therefore, when you decide to lose weight and, therefore, do a colon cleanse, you must adopt a healthier diet that includes an abundant amount of fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains, fibers and nuts.
Where to buy flax seeds
You can buy flax seeds in herbalists and specialized stores but you can also do it on Amazon, with all the comforts that online shopping offers you. In this way, you will access a meticulous selection of this food, among which the varieties of golden flax and brown flax seeds stand out.
Do not hesitate to include flaxseeds in your diet because they are a wonderful way to make “health insurance” for your body.