Echinacea, Echinacea angustifolia, Echinacea purpurea or Echinacea pallida is a perennial shrub in the Asteraceae family, native to the United States whose beautiful purple flowers have long petals. It was first used centuries ago by North American Indians to heal wounds that occurred in battles.
Already in the 21st century it was first appreciated as an excellent natural antibacterial remedy. Today it is considered a highly coveted plant for its therapeutic properties and its popularity rises to the speed of foam.
If you have not yet tried echinacea, we encourage you to do so because its multiple benefits will be noticed in your health and beauty.
What is Echinacea?
Echinacea is a very powerful medicinal plant that only needs to be taken in short periods of time for the effect to be to strengthen the immune system. As a superfood it is of radiant topicality and if taken in the right dose it will serve you, among many other things, for:
- Strengthen the immune system and protect organs
- Treat respiratory infections such as common colds or colds, flu, sinusitis, or laryngitis
- In winter it also serves to prevent said infections
- Increases energy and gives vitality
- Purifies and cleanses liver, lungs and kidneys
- Helps prevent autoimmune diseases like cancer
- Acts as a healing for external wounds
- It helps with blood circulation
- It has anti-inflammatory properties
- Mitigates the discomfort of sore throat, respiratory conditions and cough
- It is a most powerful natural antibiotic
- Protects the airways that are affected by tobacco, smoke or pollution in general
- It is ideal for respiratory infections of the pharyngitis, bronchitis or nasopharyngitis type
- Especially recommended for when you have a high fever
- Strengthens white blood cells, destroying and preventing germs
- Treats urinary system infections like cystitis or syphilis
- It is a strong antiallergic
- Fight against diseases of the circulatory system, such as septicemia or rheumatism
- Fights gum infections like gingivitis and periodontitis
- Improves migraines
- It is effective against styes
- Helps prevent tonsillitis
- Acts against indigestion
- Treats urinary tract infections
- Kill the candida albicans
- Fights MRSA (Staphylococcus aureus) infections
- Relieves dental pain, even after dental surgery
- Pallies skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis or herpes
- Treats bites, boils, and burns
- Mitigates the effects of hemorrhoids and abscesses
- Reduces the chances of contracting influenza by 85%
Its intake is also recommended in cases of patients who have been detected an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Recent studies show that echinacea has long been used by German and Swiss doctors as a natural antibiotic with which to face bacteria. But you still don’t know anything about the properties of this plant, stay with us because we have a lot to tell you
Nothing more effective against the flu
It is very likely that you have heard about the wonders of echinacea to fight the flu and that this plant inhibits the influenza A virus, directly affecting it. This has been one of the last discoveries carried out on this food, of which its antibacterial and antiviral activity was already known.
Unlike vaccines that are exclusively activated against a certain disease, echinacea works by stimulating the general activity of cells that are responsible for fighting infections of all kinds.
Thus, millions of people around the world use it for its beneficial effects on the cells of the immune system, stimulating the production of T cells and interferon, a protein that stimulates the system. At the same time, it stimulates the internalization of foreign bodies by immune cells with the aim of removing them from the circulation, increasing the capacity of immune cells to go to the site of infection.
In the same way, pharmaceutical preparations containing echinacea can be used as a preventive method to avoid colds in the winter time, starting to be taken at the same time that their first symptoms begin to be appreciated and effectively contributing to their relief, shortening the duration of such a process.
It is important to note that these are viral processes and that the use of antibiotics is therefore contraindicated. By contrast, echinacea is a natural product that is receiving significant follow-up from the medical communities.
A natural herb from the daisy family whose health benefits are being revealed by numerous scientific studies. This endemic plant of Central and Eastern America provides countless health benefits.
Therefore, preventing contagion also involves observing a balanced diet in which fruits and vegetables abound, trying not to expose ourselves to sudden changes in temperature and taking echinacea-based pharmaceutical preparations that reinforce the body’s natural defenses.
This prodigious herb, apart from helping the immune system as a whole, is an excellent remedy against diseases that affect the gums, tonsillitis, fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, typhoid fever, syphilis and infections of the bloodstream. .
Start taking echinacea and your winters will not be the same …
Echinacea properties and medicinal benefits
Among the main properties of echinacea two stand out:
- Antimicrobial: what makes this plant a perfect alternative to chemical antibiotics. Its properties help to kill all kinds of viruses as well as fungi and bacteria that tend to lodge in our bodies.
- Increased defenses: its active compounds such as ecuinacin, chicoric acid and caffeic acid strengthen the immune system, by increasing the production of white blood cells, which is a natural defense with which the body fights against infections.
Regarding its benefits, it is not only indicated for the cure of diseases, but also for:
- Reduce acne. The annoying and unsightly adolescent acne is largely calmed by echinacea, as it greatly reduces the inflammation of those affected skin tissues.
- Fight wrinkles. This plant contains tannins, which play a primary role in the contraction of skin cells. Thanks to this function, the appearance of wrinkles can be reduced by up to 55%. For this reason, you will find a large number of cosmetic products that have been enriched with echinacea extracts. Will this plant be the “elixir of eternal youth”?
- Avoid hair loss. Take echinacea and get ready to show stronger and healthier hair than ever, as it is in charge of stopping hair loss, positively influencing its growth. The reason is none other than the increased blood circulation in the scalp, which makes hair follicles stronger. Keep this in mind when buying your shampoo.
- Eliminate dandruff. Its benefits on hair seem to have no end because it is an extraordinary natural remedy to end the dreaded dandruff. Say goodbye to stinging and haste, because you know that sometimes it is more than evident that you are suffering from this irritation.
- It is the ideal complement to your diet. Its richness in proteins, vitamins A, C and E, iron and copper, make echinacea the perfect complement to be ingested as an infusion or supplement, thus benefiting from all the nutritional properties it has. And we have not yet commented the best, because its flavor is delicious, very similar to that of the You will not be able to resist its charms.
- Helps adapt the body to seasonal changes, by increasing defenses and protecting the airways
|Nutritional composition||Nutritional values|
|Echinacea root extract||30mg|
Its main component is the alchemides that are responsible for improving circulation, as well as protecting and strengthening the immune system. Other components that stand out are: phenolic acids, complex polysaccharides, fatty acids, essential oils and indole alkaloids that make echinacea a magnificent natural antibiotic with which to face infections of the respiratory system.
How to take echinacea
Echinacea treatment must not exceed the time or dose established. You just need to consume it for a period of between 5 and 10 weeks for your immune system to strengthen and be able to fight various respiratory problems and infections.
You can take it for 7 weeks and establish a 2-3 week break, as it is the most recommended way for our body to absorb the enormous amount of medicinal properties that this plant has.
Echinacea has many different presentations because it is a plant that almost all its parts take advantage of. You can find them in capsules, as an infusion, in drops, in tablets …
As for the dose, as is logical, it varies according to the age, weight or disease of the person although the normal thing would be to ingest doses that range between 800 mg and 2 grams a day, which can be in capsule form, while the cold persist and always with water and before or after meals.
If you take it as an infusion, you can drink 5 cups a day when the first symptoms of the cold appear. Reduce one cup a day until you have reached 5 days of treatment. In case the symptoms persist, you should consult your doctor.
If you ingest it in drops, you can take 20 drops of this plant every 2 hours on the first day of symptoms. From there, take 20 drops 3 times a day for a maximum of 10 days.
If you are going to take echinacea in tablets, the optimal amount is 2 tablets daily for 5 days.
Despite the fact that it is a most natural product, echinacea is known to have some contraindications, so its consumption should be avoided in the following cases:
- If you are pregnant or lactating
- If you suffer from ailments such as lupus, multiple sclerosis or rheumatoid arthritis, they could worsen the symptoms of those conditions
- If you have been diagnosed with an immune system disorder
- If you consume immunosuppressive drugs, since it hinders the synthesis of those that are eliminated through the liver or drinks with caffeine, since echinacea reduces the capacity with which our body usually breaks down caffeine
You should pay special attention to possible allergic reactions that can be suffered when consuming echinacea, especially in children under 12 years of age, such as urticaria-style skin rashes, increased asthma or respiratory problems or anaphylaxis (immune reaction of the body in general ).
In any case, what it is convenient to avoid is a consumption for an excessively long time.
Where to buy echinacea
Buying echinacea is very simple, as herbalists and specialized stores sell this product, although you have the option of purchasing it on Amazon, in various formats and with excellent value for money.
Among all the parts of the plant that are marketed, 2 are the main types of products that you will find in the market: those that are an extract of its root and those that come from the stabilized fresh juice of the aerial parts of the plant.
Regarding its intake and conservation, remember that the recommended dose should not be exceeded and that food supplements are not substitutes for a balanced diet.
Keep your container in a cool and dry place and do not expose it to sunlight.
Can you think of a better way for your body to assimilate a natural antibiotic? Start taking echinacea and enjoy iron health!